sábado, 4 de maio de 2013

The (in)famous last words of Bramante - As (infames)famosas últimas palavras de Bramante

English:
It was because of this asshole known as Bramante that I found myself condemned to paint the Sistine Ceiling. He wrote a letter to the Pope Julius II stating his doubts about my capacity as an artist to execute the painting of the chapel's ceiling. Bramante was very respected by the Church and his credibility was immense. If I continued to refuse the work, Bramante would have destroyed my career like a giant smashing a midget. Suddenly I saw myself in the same situation of David facing Goliath, the giant. But in my case the giant Goliath was Bramante's tongue.
That's the situation depicted on the painting "David and Goliath" at the entry of the Sistine Ceiling. The giant Goliath is about to be beheaded: Bramante's tongue is about to be severed from his mouth. Summarizing it: through the painting David and Goliath I was saying that I had to paint the Sistine Ceiling to shut up the fucking Bramante.
Basically, Cassandra and Bramante are showing my response to the terrible situation of being forced to accept a work that I didn't want.
But both scenes of "Judith and Holofernes" and "David and Goliath" at the entry of the chapel have another two meanings, related to the entire Ceiling.

Português:
Foi por causa deste babaca conhecido como Bramante que eu me vi condenado a pintar o teto da Capela Sistina. Ele escreveu uma carta para o Papa Júlio II declarando as suas dúvidas sobre a minha capacidade como artista para executar a pintura do teto da capela. Bramante era muito respeitado pela Igreja e sua credibilidade era imensa. Se eu continuasse a recusar o trabalho, Bramante teria destruído a minha carreira como um gigante esmagando um anão. De repente, eu me vi na mesma situação de Davi enfrentando o gigante Golias. Mas, no meu caso, o gigante Golias era a língua de Bramante.
Essa é a situação retratada na pintura de Davi e Golias na entrada da Capela Sistina. O gigante Golias está prestes a ser decapitado (a língua de Bramante está prestes ser cortada de sua boca). Resumindo: através da pintura "Davi e Golias", eu estava dizendo que tinha que pintar o teto da Capela Sistina para calar a boca da porra do Bramante.
Basicamente, Cassandra e Bramante estão mostrando a minha resposta para a situação terrível de ser forçado a trabalhar em algo que não queria.
Mas ambas as cenas de "Judite e Holofernes" e "Davi e Golias" na entrada da capela tem outros dois significados, relacionados com o teto inteiro.

References/Referências:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donato_Bramante
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Julius_II
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_(Bible)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muladhara
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malkuth

Nenhum comentário: